Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wealth for the Commons.......

Turn of the millennium...... 65% of India’s population still dependent on agriculture, but contributing to less than 30% of the GDP...... More than 5 lakh farmers committing suicide, every year...... Farmers, holding on to dear life, under the gruesome tyranny of the landowners and moneylenders....... More than 42% of our population below the poverty line........ More than 45% of the population illiterate, and less than 15% reaching high school........ But our very worthy ministers prefer to spend Rs 4318 on a ‘toilet roll’. Welcome to India, 2010.

Today, the Commonwealth Games are in full swing, and our sportspersons are winning numerous laurels. My chest swells an extra two inches, hearing about the pouring in of medals, and India rising in that tally. Yet, my head hangs in shame at how we have failed to tackle so many other fundamental problems in our country, of MUCH greater importance than the Games.

Our Government is more interested in showing off to the world its rising global superiority through an event that seems inconsequential in comparison to all these monstrosities. Say, the Commonwealth Games are a success…. so what? Four years later they’d be hosted in some other country. But agriculture? Education? Poverty? These issues are not 11-day events. They are here to stay!

Let me clarify my stand.... I was only against hosting the games, But, I told and tell everybody, that now that they are happening, its no point in opposing them. I just wanted to bring forward the first part of my statement through this article. I am not criticising the Games. I am not criticising sport. I am just saying that first things first, guys! Now that the Games are finally happening, I agree that I should not be sitting and cribbing about them, but celebrating in the joy of the sport. Trust me, I AM! I do a little jig every time Sania Mirza hits that ace, every time Vijender Singh delivers that brutal punch! My cellphone ringtone is the “O Yaaron....Yeh India, Bula Liya....” anthem, and my PC wallpaper is the CWG logo. And this in no way is "fake" or "hollow" support. It is heartfelt. I am CELEBRATING EVERY MOMENT OF THESE GAMES! But I still can’t stop pitying the lack of maturity on the part of our ministers. Simply, because our country has a lot more to do, before it can start concentrating on hosting international sporting events.

I am not against the development of sports in our country! Not at all! I am only against Rs.35 thousand crore being spent on projects that do not benefit most people! I would be one of the happiest people if our athletes got worldwide recognition and fame. I personally am against the common taxpayer’s money being used for something that doesn’t work for the benefit of every individual in our country, especially when contrasted to something as fundamental as, say, agriculture.

Also, the measures being taken for beautification of the city are shocking!  Outstation students were evicted from their hostels, to house Games officials. Every single hostel, barring three, is EMPTY.  The Delhi Government is clearing off all the slums, to present a beautiful picture of the city to the tourists. So, the new rule for our Government is "If you can’t tackle poverty, hide it." “Garibi Hatao” is being interpreted as “Garib Hatao”.  Those who go back impressed with our city, will be impressed by a body, which has been excessively dabbed with make-up, to hide its physical flaws. Sure, Beijing did the same, but that is a semi-despotic Communist state...last I checked, we were living in a Democracy.

I agree that it is like a golden opportunity for any country, but what I’m saying is that India as a country doesn’t need something like the Commonwealth Games in the situation it is in. We need to prioritize. Maybe 20 years later, when most problems of the agricultural sector have been tackled, then I will be the strongest supporter of the Commonwealth Games!

Being an avid debater, I totally expect that my views would be diametrically contrasting to yours. Yet, I wanted to take this platform to express them. I also apologise to those who think that it was in bad taste to post this article at this stage; I just wanted to take this semi-private platform to showcase my views.

14 comments:

  1. :O

    my views EXACTLY. O_O
    could you *BE* more spot-on?

    about 3 months back (or maybe more), my stand was something along the lines of VEHEMENT opposition of the hosting of the Games. Many may not agree, but i wanted the games to be an absolute failure, so that India is never again given the opportunity to host any such international event in the future. I thought that this might enable us to concentrate on the most fundamental issues that plague us, the problems that afflict Indian society at the absolute grassroots level...the things that may affect our future as a nation, a society, a civilisation..
    But I don't believe in that anymore. Whenever a scam regarding the CWG is exposed, i am saddened. Whenever a part of a false ceiling collapses, I feel the same embarrassment that i would had it taken place in MY home. I SINCERELY want the CWG to be a success now, because now that i think about it, their failure won't do much good to better the poor image of india that foreigners bear in their minds. But at the same time, it would bring me MUCH greater joy if we are able to emerge as a truly developed country rather than one trying to make a false, yet flattering impression on others..

    Vibhor yaar! you've echoed my sentiments EXACTLY! And that's PRECISELY why i love this post! :D

    oh, and, it's extremely well written too! but well, im going to stop saying that from now on..that is something that HAS to be there, 'cause its coming from you. :)

    to sum it up, A.W.E.S.O.M.E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God! The last line! :OOOOOOOOOOO

    THANK YOU!!!! :DDDDDDDD
    You have made my day!

    And I agree! I have put my stand in black and white and will stick by it atleast till the next 10 years. And let me tell you, the success of the CWG will encourage India to host the Olympics..which are a different ball game altogether...TWICE the money will be used..and thrice the money will be wasted!!

    But then, Hockey finals, Javelin throw-Bronze, Discus throw-Gold, 4x400 m womens gold!


    GO INDIA! GO DELHI!!!

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, vibhor mathur, you are wrong! YOU have made MY day. :P seriously, its very rare that one gets to read a write-up in which each and every line gives you deja-vu, because you've thought along the same lines a million times!

    "...TWICE the money will be used..and thrice the money will be wasted!!" --> haha! true!

    yes! today was a field day for us, wasnt it? the hockey semi final, yaar! "feel!!!!" :D

    Go India! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank You! :D

    Great day really! Especially because we won medals in ATHLETICS! Stuff we are theoretically not good at!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very well researched and well informed article i must say.......mature stand taken rising above the ignorance of some and nonchalance of others......
    though i dnt think you'll find a considerable strength of individuals to go against the stand....
    i can see u feel very strongly abt this but whats even more important is the way u've substantiated it wth facts and a controlled and progressive sense of disappointment.....as in its not just simply lamenting and getting disappointed.... but evoking a sense taking up responsibilities and actually going out there and doing sumthing abt it......all in all....well written...and well approached....keep going.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you. :)
    Even though commonwealth's been really really good for our country, we can't really ignore the main aspect of our nation which we need to concentrate on. A country is recognized mostly by the people who inhabit it and our basic priority therefore rests with the upliftment of the people of our own country since our identity is defined by these people who live in the same nation and desire certain basic necessities which we've been slightly unable to provide so far, due to some abstrude reasons but that still doesn't change the fact that we should try to do everything possible to improve that aspect of our country because in the end, it's the people who matter the most and the growth of any country can only be measured if its citizens are in a good enough condition to contribute to its constant welfare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vasuki: Thank You. I agree that most people will not agree with me, I just tried my hand at articulating it! I have always felt, that there are only 2 ways to deal with a problem. Either dont think about it. Or if you do, dont just think about it, DO something about it. It is like saying Our government is bad, and then re-electing them :P




    @Suhina: To be very honest with you, the commonwealth has been good for the visible part of our country, i.e., to the upper class...the cream of the society. Whereas to the India beautifully swept under the carpet, it has been grossly detrimental. Like you very rightly said, the worth of our country will not be determined by the no. of international events we host, that will at the most improve its image,not its real value. So THAT is where our efforts should be directed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I love the way u put ur point across. . .the way u strtd was great :D
    great going :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You! :D
    I shall keep your suggestions in mind next time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Vibhor,

    I will KILL you if you don't post a new piece within the next 3 days.
    Thanks.

    Sincerely,
    Prerna.

    PS- I can also get Shweta to mash you into a fine pulp unless the killing plan doesnt work out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't say all these insightful things- just, WELL WRITTEN :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaha....Thank You! :D

    But then, Do we need words Koo? :PPPPPPPPP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good read Vibhor.

    Have you thought in the lines of these international events being an extremely great source of revenue...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank You Kovid bhaiya. I have, but I have also contrasted that revenue generated to the revenue spent. Let me give you some statistics. The proposed income to be generated from the games was Rs 900 Crore. Lets assume we earned DOUBLE that amount, i.e. Rs 1800 Crores. The Money spent was 30000 crores. Hence even double the expected income generated, is just about half of the money spent on these games.


    I think that has answered your question.

    ReplyDelete